Wednesday, May 07, 2008

to snow or not to snow, that is the question

I have a thing about snow, I love it. I love the blue shadows and the way red and green contrasts with it, and the magical quality it lends to landscapes. Ok, I know this is all very airy fairy because I don't have to face the daily reality of living with it and digging it and dressing accordingly.
I have only ever physically touched snow twice in my life, once when I was 14 and we went up the Sierra Nevada in Spain, and once when I was at University in Pietermaritzburg and it snowed nearby. A bunch of us piled into a friend's car and rushed up there, and played around like 5 year olds throwing it around. It was great!
So for me it is a romantic, fairytale substance.
Naturally, therefore, I have been hoping with every fibre of my being that it would snow while we were up in the mountains. However, the weather in Lesotho was bright and sunny and warm the whole time we were there.... Except on the last night, when it was FREEZING, and everyone said it was definitely going to snow. The next morning, as we were packing to leave, the air felt much warmer, and I remembered Jerry (he of "it's not far" fame) saying that if it is going to snow it gets warm first, and I just KNEW it was going to.... but we had to leave so Max could get back for work. 6 hours after we crossed the border it snowed, aaaaaaaaaarrggh!

Now Max, on the other hand, thinks snow is wet cold stuff that has no particular attraction, and is a real fair weather camper. So he was trying manfully to be sypathetic to my disappointment, whilst hiding his delight that we missed it!

However, we did see a little in the distance on the Barkly Pass as we crossed over, on our way to Lesotho. I was beside myself with excitement! Now Sheila and Michele and all of you who get REAL snow, please do not clutch yourselves and fall about laughing, but here it is, as good as it got, SNOW!






5 comments:

Michele said...

Absolutely beautiful!!

Suzi-k said...

Thanks Michele, very gracious of you considering the awesome snow covered surroundings where you live, and your stunning phots!

EG CameraGirl said...

It's delightful to hear that someone likes snow. Here in Ontario, Canada it's often called the "s"-word. Personally, I like snow too...at least until I think it's time for spring to arrive, that is.

Spring is here...so snow is not welcome until next December. LOL

Anonymous said...

Suzi-K, you crazy woman!! I know that seeing snow in SA is something to be excited about, but like in Ontario, Canada, Cedar Falls, USA is recovering from a llllllloooooonnnnnnnggggggggggg, cold, snowy, gray winter. We had 56 inches, and that is not the highest snowfall on record for our area, or for the entire country this winter. Spring is finally here, and we are as delighted about that as you were to see snow!! :)
Beautiful photos, though!!
Diane

Sheila said...

That sprinkle is just about enough for me. I hate the stuff..!