Wednesday, November 14, 2007

...and an unwelcome milestone...

After all the family milestones of recent months, I'm afraid we had a very unwelcome one yesterday.

Max had a heart attack. He seems OK, he is in ICU, cheerful, and no more pains, and it seems to have been caught very early, but until he gets to see a cardiologist and has an angiogram, we won't really know where we stand.

He was in Uitenhage consulting for Rocklands Poultry when it struck. It is a huge operation with a well run clinic, so he actually couldn't have chosen a better place for it to happen. They knew what was happening immediately, and while he was still wondering if it was indigestion or stress, they were putting him on oxygen and getting him into the local hospital.

I must say, the Rocklands guys have been wonderful, they have sorted out all the little loose ends that unravel when things like this happen, and been so supportive.

I'm sure it is going to be fine, but it will obviously involve a change in lifestyle. We have known we were pushing our luck for a while, way too many KFC dinners etc, and not enough exercise (too much couch potato time on the laptops, visiting blogsites!!)

It is a wake-up call, and we will heed it. Bunny food and long walks from now on... maybe less time in cyberspace and more in the fresh air.... but when you get a call to tell you that your ((best friend, soul mate, lover, companion, centre of your known world))husband is in hospital with "chest pains" the world stands still, and every minute stretches out and you realise you will do whatever you have to do in order to never have to hear those words again.


But just to reassure family and friends who visit this post, here is a photo I took while K and I were visiting him last night, and as you can see he doesn't look too scary, so don't stress, I'm sure he will be fine! (I might not be, when he finds out that I put a picture of him in his little green dress on the web!!! hehe)

And I'm sure you will all understand if blog visits and comments are a bit erratic for a while...
however don't adjust your set, stay with us and I'm sure normal blogging will be resumed shortly.

14 comments:

Julie Steenkamp said...

Hope Max will be doing just great and that the results of the angiogram is just as great. So know how you feel as my father is recovering from a heart attack. Look after him and treasure every moment together xx

Sheila said...

Sue I am sure this was scary for both of you..!
Max looks well, but that is the problem, we assume we are okay, because we look okay. This is a wake up call for me too. I have been thinking along these lines lately, and I think we can learn from you..!
I hope he is soon back home where you can keep an eye on him and your lifestyle changes will make a huge difference.
Love to you both..
xo

Unknown said...

Hope Max will be home soon. Thinking of him and you.

Tom said...

Tell I said he looks cute in Green.. and I do wish you all the best.
The reason I blog now is through something like this, I get my walking done when I can, take the camera as it give me an interest, then I came across blogging.. When I feel fine I walk, when I'm tired I rest and blog... I have my chill time blogging..

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,thanks to heaven, that Max is "ok". We hold thumbs for you, that the test results do not give you more worries. Love Alan and Alex

Oswegan said...

That's horrible.

I left a comment over on his site. I hope everything is ok now.

Let us know as soon as you are able.

~Oswegan

Suzi-k said...

Thanks all, for an update on how he is doing go to the latest post on http://themaxefiles.blogspot.com/

Cheesy said...

First off.. Max looks lovely in his green evening wear!

Suz... I sit here weeping for a family I do not know. Please make sure you take amazing care of not only Max but yourself as well. Be peaceful and make sure you rest. Thankfully it was caught early and he is otherwise healthy. Rabbit food isn't all that bad and long walks will allow for more pictures for us! Hold him tight and cherish your moments together sweetie. Chin up!

Ali Honey said...

Best Wishes for improved health for you both.Try not to stresss; he needs you well to keep him on the straight and narrow.

He looks so well in your photo I doubt he is geeting too much sympathy.Keep positive, make some little changes that you can stick to then enjoy for all you are worth! Hugs from NZ.

Anonymous said...

Love and hugs to you both, dears! Hope all is well again soon.

dot said...

Oh what a sweet looking hubby you have! Tell him I enjoy his blog so much and hope he is back soon.

mrsnesbitt said...

He does suit that colour!
I agree with Sheila, he looks so well.

Dxxx

Unknown said...

Hey Suzi,
Arghhh! Do I ever know how you feel! Been there, done that...1994 was the year our world went pear shaped! This is sooo late but I just stopped by to catch up and now this...when you get a chance, M and I send best wishes to Max...and to you. Look after yourself too!(we girls don't realise how stressful it is until months later when symptoms can start popping up like weeds!)You both have to stay well...there's still Scotland (and who knows where else) to visit!(((Hugs)))

Suzi-k said...

Thanks guys, your messages mean a lot, I printed them out for Max before he went into theatre, and i know he was touched and strengthened by all the love coming his way. And CJ, the thought of Scotland in April will be like a big juicy carrot dangling in front of us as we walk the road ahead, something to really look forward to!